Back to work. ((or)) Books as far as the eye can see.

The Sword in the Stone - T.H. White Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2 - Thomas Malory Interview With The Vampire - Anne Rice The Clan of the Cave Bear - Jean M. Auel Beowulf: A New Verse Translation - Seamus Heaney, Anonymous Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Vol. 1 - Robert E. Hegel, C.H. Brewitt-Taylor, Luo Guanzhong

So I'm back to it today after a day off.  I never do anything terribly exciting on days off.  I was out of bed by 6 am because I just can't sleep any later than that.  I sat on the floor and read sixty or seventy pages of The Sword in the Stone by T.H. White, because it was the closest thing to me.  I've been really into King Arthur stories lately, I don't really know why (aside from the obvious, being that King Arthur is a really cool character.) So there are T.H. White paperbacks strewn all over my apartment, and I have piles of random fantasy books with "Merlin" in the title pulled down from my shelves (so I can make a dedicated "King Arthur" section.)  So far, I think my very favorite Arthur story I've read is the death of Arthur, from Le Morte D'Arthur by Mallory.  I see the irony in saying that my favorite part of a book called "The death of Arthur" is the death of Arthur...kind of seems like a given.  But it really is just the best part.

I'm also strangely into a lot of chinese writing lately, too, but it's harder to find.  I mentioned Water Margin the other day, so it's been on my mind for at least that long.  I only wish I could find a copy to read.  I could just order it from amazon or something, but that seems really silly to do when I work in a bookstore.  The few times that I've ordered a book, it's inevitably come into my store within a week (Interview With The Vampire, The Clan Of The Cave Bear)  So I'm cursed to sit and watch Beowulf come and go a million times a week, and never see Romance ever at all.  But one day, completely by stupid luck, all four of the great classical novels are going to roll through this warehouse, in a matched slipcase heritage edition leatherbound gold leaf set, giving me bedroom eyes.  And they will be mine.